[Myexperiment-discuss] Requirements work

From: Alexander Voss
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Requirements work
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:10:41 +0000

Dear all,

just thought I'd point you to a book by Andy Crabtree which might be useful in the context of doing the requirements work for myExperiment:

Andy Crabtree, Designing Collaborative Systems: A Practical Guide to Ethnography, Springer 2003

This book discusses various forms of user-designer engagement around the idea of using workplace studies to inform design and touches on patterns (of observed behaviour) and prototyping.

I just found out that this is available as an electronic book (PDF) from Ryland's at http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-1-85233-848-0/ You can download the individual chapters or go to the series webpage at http://www.springerlink.com/content/r85412/ to get the whole book as a PDF.

There is some other useful material that people have put together for BT at some point when they got interested in the whole matter of people using services (what was that again?) Will see if I can find this stuff again.

Also, the attached paper on corealisation might be of interest although it is written more as an academic paper than a practical guide. I am playing with the thought of writing a short summary of approaches to requirements work and user-designer relations in e-science but nothing concrete has happened yet. Prod me if you think this might be useful.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alexander Voss, Research Associate