Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] a requirement while I remember!

From: Stian Soiland
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] a requirement while I remember!
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:25:22 +0100

On 8 Aug 2007, at 18:45, M. Scott Marshall wrote:
Wouldn't it be interesting to know how often a workflow has been run? I
imagine that if, by downloading a workflow from myExp (counter++), you
actually got a slightly modified version: a version with a Taverna
tracking code/workflow identifier inserted into the SCUFL (similar to
the code you insert for Google Analytics or other web stat service). So, when you run the workflow, a counter corresponding to that workflow gets
knotched up by one iota on a myExp server. And when it runs to
*completion* you get a few more iota's. This would not require any
special effort on the user's part (but admittedly some special effort on
the part of my* developers..).

There's some privacy issues with such reporting, but we can do it in a slightly similar way if we include it as options:

[  ]   Report anonymous workflow usage statistics to myXP
[  ]   Report anonymous service usage statistics to myXP

This would be a part of an myExperiment plugin (that would also be able to tell you if there was a new version of the workflow, let you submit the workflow straight to myXP, etc).

All that needs to be inserted into the downloaded workflow would be some URI or another identifier (obviously the never-changing LSID is not very good for this) to report which workflow is in question.

Similar identification issues would arise when reporting service usage, but that shouldn't be too hard as at least we know how to call the service, and that can be used as some kind of identifier. (Filtered through some sha1/md5 hashing to avoid a massive URI and avoid exposing which internal services have been used)

--
Stian Soiland, myGrid team
School of Computer Science