[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: [MYGRID] Triana review (third sending)

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: [MYGRID] Triana review (third sending)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:11:30 +0000

Alan

thanks - the workflow as a web service is also a feature of Inforsense.
the configurability is important too.

Triana are partners for myExperiment

Carole

Triana 2.2.3 review

1 Installation

Very easy.  It downloads and after an initial ant problem works OK.

2 Documentation

In-built help facility is very useful.

Includes tutorials on how to do things.  It was very simple to get a
workflow entered and running.  It was nicely interactive, set a value
on a wave generator, see the result in a virtual oscilloscope.

3 Workflow creation

Tree of known services.  Added to a graphical representation of the workflow.

Can set to auto-connect the ports added service to their most likely
connection.  No idea what the algorithm is, but for the idiotic
workflows I tried it got the connections right.  If it stopped getting
them right then it can be switched off.

Can get a large document about individual services by right-clicking.
Also can configure the running of the service.

4 Available services

In-built Java classes.  Can add new classes (I think) and also use
workflows as services (I think).  Can scavenge WSDL services and
possibly grid services.

5 Service grouping

Can group sets of services in a workflow to create a new workflow.  An
instance of the new workflow is automatically included in the original
one.  Can configure the new workflow.

6 Workflow publication

Workflows can be published as web services.

7 Service discovery

Can search over a UDDI registry for a matching WSDL service.  I didn't
manage to get this working.

8 Grid ability

Has in-built capability to run workflows over a Grid.  I didn't get to
try this out.

9 Configurability

It feels like it is more configurable than Taverna.  Little things
like being able to change the colour for display made me feel in
control.

10 Provenance

I didn't see anything for this.

11 Interoperability

Appears to read and write EGEE and GriPhyn workflows.

Summary
=======

Taverna is (by comparison) missing:

1 Help documentation