[Myexperiment-discuss] Fwd: 'Gene WIki' announced

From: Robert Stevens
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Fwd: 'Gene WIki' announced
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:44:21 +0100

another example of scientists doing it for themselves.

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:53:06 +0100
From: Dan Brickley <address@hidden>
To: w3c semweb hcls <address@hidden>
Subject: 'Gene WIki' announced
Sender: address@hidden

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/80128,wikipedia-hosts-human-gene-repository.aspx
[[
U.S. scientists are developing a "Gene Wiki" with the aim of fostering a flexible, organic archive of human genetic information.

The project exists within Wikipedia, and is expected to speed up the process of deciphering genome sequences.

According to Andrew Su, whose report of the project appears this week in the scientific journal PLoS Biology, the researchers were emboldened to develop the Wiki by Wikipedia's "Be Bold" ethos.
]]

The full proposal is here:
http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060175&ct=1

[[
A Gene Wiki for Community Annotation of Gene Function

Jon W. Huss III, Camilo Orozco, James Goodale, Chunlei Wu, Serge Batalov, Tim J. Vickers, Faramarz Valafar, Andrew I. Su*

Citation: Huss III JW, Orozco C, Goodale J, Wu C, Batalov S, et al. (2008) A Gene Wiki for Community Annotation of Gene Function. PLoS Biol 6(7): e175 doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0060175
Published: July 8, 2008
]]

From a quick skim I don't see mention of W3C, RDF, Semantic Web etc --- I was wondering if anyone here was involved and had contacts, since there's doubtless some overlap in interests and approach. In particular I was thinking that the Semantic MediaWiki extensions (http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki) might be useful in bridging this work to other datasets.

thinking out loud,