Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: [MYGRID] yourExperiment

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: [MYGRID] yourExperiment
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:36:08 +0100

Hi Marco,

Hmmm....intersting......my preference would be to show the whole workflow. But, as you say, this may put people off re-using it. I think this is where I need my post-it note idea - a little yellow lable around a collection of services that describe what it does, like you would put a post-it note onto a folder of documents or a page in a book.

Again, as you rightly say, it is the organisation of the workflows that is most important when it comes to browsing.

cheers,
Paul.

Marco Roos wrote:
Hello Paul,

Your workflows are BIG.
This is very interesting, because it seems that how workflows are depicted on myExperiment (i.e. expanded) can have a big impact on their reuse =-O For me, the workflows should be depicted in collapsed form. Paul: what is your preference? myExperment designers: can that also be made an option?

My workflows are not very big from a functional point of view, but this only becomes clear in the collapsed form of the workflow. Like Paul I use nested workflows a lot. I prefer to use small components organised in subworkflows, which I think is good practice. However, this does lead to larger workflows that look more complicated, especially in their expanded form.

The other thing is that if you upload more smaller workflows that do less (i.e. more reusable), it becomes more important how you are able to organise them. I hope the packs help in this respect and the possibility to address subworkflows through the container workflow. Now, my list of workflows is very messy.

Regards,
Marco.

Paul Fisher wrote:
Hi Marco,

Those points are the same as I have thought. This may be of interest to you

  1. Your workflows are BIG. That has certainly put me off attempting
     to re-use them for the time being. To understand a BIG workflow
     requires a lot of time and a lot of understanding of the processes
     involved.
  2. Re-uing a workflow is a very hard task to do. The smaller the
     workflows the better. Even if it means hiding certain sections
     (i.e. nested workflows). That is why I try to modularise mine as
     much as possible.
  3. Being able to rate your own workflows seems counter-intuitive. As
     you can see, I have rated some of mine as 5/5!!! (for testing
     purposes obviously :S)

Re: Ad 3, I had a lot of interaction with the people involved in
re-using my workflow. That interaction involved me sitting directly next
to the person who wanted to use it, and building it! The "re-user" had
little to do, other than make their workflow output match the input of
my workflow. I had to modify my workflow to get the connections to work
properly. As you can see, it is not a simple task. And, I can't afford
to spend time with everyone who wants to re-use my workflows.

Re Additional points

   Point 1. The ratings can be improved by (as you say) adding more
   metadata. The more metadata you enter, the better the automatic
   rating. This would give an incentive for people to properly annotate
   their workflows. myExperiment could then feature a monthly "top
   rated" workflow, or "workflow of the month". These only contain
   workflows that are properly annotated. They could be advertised on
   the front page with a note saying - "Want your workflow here - then
   annotate!!" or something.
   Point 4 . More visible human annotation would be fantastic.
   Something similar to the myExperiment plugin. You see the workflow
   and the description at the same time. Very useful!!!! That way I (or
   new users) don't have to learn to look in un-obvious tabs to find
   the metadata.

Ad 3 (again).

   I would also like to know who was using my workflow. At the moment
   it is left up to the people using it to either ask for help and
   therefore tell me, tell me out of courtesy, or not tell me at all.
   Can a digital signature be added to a workflow (questions arise
   about modifcation though) that would allow an update to be sent
   automatically to the owner/builder to tell them it has been
   re-submitted to myExpeiment as another modified workflow?

regards,
Paul.

Marco Roos wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you all for starting this thread. It allows me to share some
thoughts with you and make some suggestions for myExperiment and Taverna.

Some observations or assumptions:

   1. Most downloads might still be by me (from different locations)
2. Workflows on top are more likely to be tried, and hence stay on top.
   3. My workflow might not yet be good enough for reuse; I would have
      expected more questions then. I would rate my workflow 3.5 out
      of 5: 'reasonable'. I assume not many workflows would get 4/5 or
      more from me if I would be truly objective. Reusability would be
      my prime criterium.
   4. It is not trivial to reuse workflows and often persuading to
      think that building your own is better
         1. It is not trivial to understand other people's work (as it
is not easy to annotate properly to make others understand).
         2. You are more in control over your own workflow and you
            understand it much better. (I wonder: would there be an
            inverse correlation between how much you understand your
            own impressive workflow and how understandable it is for
            others?)
         3. A workflow may do too much, too complicated, to be reused
            as a component.
   5. For me the social aspects of myExperiment are an essential
      bonus, but most important functions: registry and publication.
   6. You can't see e-mail contact inspired by myExperiment.
   7. My thesis: myExperiment has not fully matured as long as
      first-time enthusiasts like me are still on top. ;-)

Ad 3: Paul: your workflow has been successfully reused: how much were
you (or mygrid people) actively involved in making that happen?

Some requests to help address these issues:

   1. Expert rating and expert review. You see this also on shopping
      sites and often are more trusted than user ratings (which could
      be biased, especially when there aren't many yet). For
      scientists this is like peer review.
   2. Automatic rating. A number of things can be rated without human
      intervention, such as the amount of descriptions added to the
      workflow. This could already be visible in Taverna while you are
      designing.
   3. Usage notification for workflow creator (cf 'return receipt'), I
      suggest to add these options to the sharing tab (in addition to
      science commons).
         1. Allow anonymous usage
         2. Request contact information, but allow anonymous usage
         3. Do not allow anonymous usage, contact information is a
            prerequisite
         4. Reuse only upon accepted non-anonymous request.
   4. More visible human annotation in Taverna. I want to see
      immediately if my descriptions are still valid while I'm editing
      a workflow.

Ad 3. This seems a fair request to me. I do not mind anybody using the
workflow that I have put a lot of time and effort in, but I would
often like to know who. In some cases I may want the reuse of my work
only if we officially call it a collaboration, hence lead to
co-authorship (this would be option 4). In other cases it will allow
me to offer help. NB I suggest that the message a user (the one who
downloads) would get will be very friendly in the sense of 'the
workflow creator requests your contact details to provide help and for
your feedback'.

In general I think we could think about how myExperiment could
actively help stimulate collaboration and reuse (without becoming
annoying of course). It will be interesting what BioCatalogue will do,
as the threshold for reusing the smallest components might be lower
than for larger workflows.

Hope this was useful.

Cheers,
Marco.

Paolo Missier wrote:
this is certainly impressive and well done to Marco, but it makes me
wonder how those numbers square with the number of reviews (0) and
comments (1, by the author) and ratings (2).
If these are real users, doesn't that make for a _lot_ of users who are
not interested in closing the collaboration loop, as it were.

just wondering --Paolo

Paul Fisher wrote:
Marco,

   BioAID_DiseaseDiscovery <http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/72>
   (v1) [http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/72]

   *Viewed:* 3045 times | *Downloaded:* 1060 times

WOW!!!!

Well done.

Paul.

--