Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Characteristics of workflows

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Characteristics of workflows
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:15:09 +0100

There is also the feedback Werner Muller has from his experiences.
He is unavailable at the moment, but Katy is trying to set up a meeting soon.
Andy Brass was his first point of contact.

regards,
Paul.

Alan Williams wrote:
Hello everybody,

A while back there was a discussion about what characteristics of
workflows were sensible to show/search on.  I asked on Taverna users and
Andrea Wiggins has replied:

Some information that I think could be useful, besides the type of
services, might be:

-Number and type of ports (e.g. text vs 2-deep list of text, etc.)

-Output types - this would be particularly good for finding workflows
that produce graphs, e.g. searching for workflows that have an R
component and a png output type

-Whether it contains subworkflows (or subsubworkflows)

-Complexity, though there are a number of ways you could
operationalize this; basically I'd like to be able to look only at
workflows that are not straight linear structures, that make use of
the outputs from one component as input to more than one component,
etc.

-License - more likely to be useful for search than anything else

-Metadata completeness; I would love to be able to have a checkbox so
that I could exclude from search results any workflows that don't
have metadata for non-shim components. I've seen this on another
social network site, labelled "include all photo-less?" which is
inelegant but perfectly descriptive.

Alan