RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] automated features testing

From: Don Cruickshank
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] automated features testing
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:33:05 +0000

Hi Franck,

myExperiment currently has 188 tests (with 367 assertions) which are defined using the built in test framework within Ruby on Rails.  We don’t periodically run these on the production servers, but I do generally perform the tests before committing code to the repository.  In addition to model tests, the tests include running various web pages from a mimicked web browser.

We do however perform periodic tests on the live server by using Nagios to report operational issues.  These include basic connectivity, disk space and that certain pages load with a page length within a given range.  One of the Nagios pages is a sanity check suite which performs various integrity checks on the database.  As an example, two of these checks are:

·         Is that there is a one to one mapping between contribution records and the workflow/file/pack records?

·         Are all workflows owned by current members of myExperiment and not to ones that have been deleted?

If any of the tests fail then Nagios emails us and also sends out text messages!

As for leveraging from myExperiment, there’s little that we do that isn’t set up from off-the-shelf components.  So I suspect the answer is probably not.

Cheers,

Don.