[Myexperiment-discuss] WANDS workshop, in conjunction with SIGMOD 2010:

From: Paolo Missier
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] WANDS workshop, in conjunction with SIGMOD 2010: Call for participation
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:08:54 +0100

Hi everyone,

apologies for shameless cross-posting. As some of you already know, my colleagues at Imperial and UPenn and I have been hard at work organising the WANDS workshop in conjunction with SIGMOD:

*The 1st International Workshop on Workflow Approaches to New Data-centric Science*

If you plan to attend SIGMOD or other associated events on the week of *June 6th* in Indianapolis, you are warmly invited to register to WANDS as well!

Either way, we really hope you'll help us advertise this event by forwarding as appropriate, and make it the first of a successful series!

The call for participation follows, and a PDF version is also attached.

With kind regards, -Paolo

*** WANDS: The 1st International Workshop on Workflow Approaches to New Data-centric Science ***

Held in conjunction with SIGMOD 2010

*June 6*, 2010, Indianapolis, IN, USA

Workshop website: http://wands2010.doc.ic.ac.uk
Registration website: https://regmaster3.com/2010conf/MOD10/register.php

**** the SIGMOD early registration deadline is May 15th. ****

** Scope of the workshop **
A number of innovative, but uncoordinated, efforts in data-centric workflows have made their mark on the scientific and business world in recent years. The goal of this workshop is to use these efforts to bring together a research community around the theoretical foundations, technology development, and domain applications of workflow systems. As a first postulate, we take that there is no uniform workflow solution, in the same way that there is no uniform programming language. Furthermore, our goal is not to promote a particular technology, or even interoperability between individual technologies. What we intend to achieve is to present, discuss and ultimately better the different computational models, usability patterns, and domain approaches used in the field.

The program includes 6 research papers, one position paper, and 3 invited contributions:
- a keynote by Prof. *Bertam Ludaescher, UC Davis*,
- an invited talk by *Prof. Tova Milo, from Tel Aviv University*,
- and a report on the 2009 NSF workshop on Data-Centric Workflows, by *Jianwen Su*, UCSB.

Organisers:

Paolo Missier, University of Manchester, UK -- address@hidden
Vasa Curcin, Imperial College, UK -- address@hidden
Susan Davidson, University of Pennsylvania, USA -- address@hidden

PRELIMINARY PROGRAM

8.30am – 10.00am Opening, First Keynote, and a short paper

• Keynote: Bertram Ludaescher, University of California, Davis: Scientific Workflows and Data Management: The Need for a New Synthesis • Open Workflow Infrastructure: A Research Agenda, Vlado Stankovski, Paolo Missier, Carole Goble and Ian Taylor

10.00am – 10.30am Coffee break

10.30am – 12.00pm Paper session
• Exploring Repositories of Scientific Workflows, Julia Stoyanovich, Ben Taskar and Susan Davidson • Privacy Issues in Scientific Workflow Provenance, Susan Davidson, Sanjeev Khanna, Sudeepa Roy and Sarah Cohen Boulakia. • DFL designer - collection-oriented scientific workflows with Petri nets and nested relational calculus, Jacek Sroka, Piotr Wlodarczyk, Lukasz Krupa and Jan Hidders.

12.00pm – 1.30pm Lunch

1.30pm – 3.00pm Paper session
• A Multi-Dimensional Classification Model for Scientific Workflow Characteristics, Lavanya Ramakrishnan and Beth Plale. • A General Approach to Data-Intensive Computing using the Meandre Component-Based Framework, Bernie Ács, Xavier Llorà, Loretta Auvil, Boris Capitanu, David Tcheng, Mike Haberman, Limin Dong, Tim Wentling and Michael Welge. • Meta-Workflows: Pattern-based Interoperability between Galaxy and Taverna, Mohamed Abouelhoda, Shady Alaa and Moustafa Ghanem.

3.00pm – 3.30pm Coffee break

3.30pm – 5.00pm Invited talks and discussion

• Workshop Report: Jianwen Su, UCSB, USA and Rick Hull, IBM, USA: The DCW 2009 NSF Workshop on Data-Centric Workflows • Invited talk: Tova Milo, University of Tel Aviv: Querying Past and Future in Workflow Systems"

--
Dr. Paolo Missier