Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Changes to REST API for components

From: Donal K. Fellows
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Changes to REST API for components
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 13:21:15 +0100

On 07/05/2013 12:57, Alan R Williams wrote:
At the moment, components (and component profiles, families and
versions) are implemented in myExperiment as packs, files, workflows and
versions of them. When the REST API is used to talk to myExperiment, the
components can only be dealt with as their myExperiment implementation.

This makes it hard for clients to talk to myExperiment about components.
At the moment, the Java code in Taverna for talking to myExperiment is
"hairy" and complicated. There is a need for Ruby applications to also
be able to talk to myExperiment about components.

It would greatly help the BioVeL and SCAPE projects if the REST API
dealt in components. There would then by one place for the mapping to
the underlying implementation i.e. myExperiment side. This would allow
later changes to the myExperiment implementation without the rewriting
of the Ruby and Java Gems/packages.

What further information do the myExperiment development team need about
the requirements?

As I understand it, we have these concepts and operations:

  Component Profiles — need lookup-by-name, create, delete
                     - want lookup-by-property
  Component Families - need lookup-by-name (maybe -given-profile),
                       create, delete
                     - want list-all-visible-families, get-metadata,
                       lookup-by-property
  Components - need lookup-by-name-given-family, create, delete,
               add-version, list-versions, lookup-by-property

A looked-up component (or version of a component) could just be a URL.
(I know that Finn's already done some work on lookup-component-by-prop.)
Each of the above entities should be represented by a single URL that
identifies the resource; we should be RESTful of course.

"It would greatly help the [...] SCAPE" is an understatement. SCAPE has
a requirement to publish a lot of components, so driving the publication
strictly via the Taverna Workbench is very undesirable; they need a
scriptable API.

Donal.