nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: Nano 1.0.8 - the Win9X implementation - Help!!!

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: Nano 1.0.8 - the Win9X implementation - Help!!!
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:13:07 -0500

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:30:28PM -0800, R. D. Acker, Jr. wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I experienced problems with the Win9X binary of 1.0.8:
>
> 1)I get a message "unable to write temp file" which
> precludes spelling (^T)  which I would have been
> surprised if it worked, since I can't see anything
> that has "eng" in it, which I'd expect for the english
> spelling (I assume there are other languages)  so....
> where do I find the dictionary, and what do I have to
> do to make spelling work?  (do I need ISPELL????)

Hi Bob,

        nano requires the "spell" command, or you can use another spell
checker like ispell with the -s option, e.g. nano -s ispell.

> 2) I can't figure out which is the Meta Key (i've
> tried all the "extra" keya)

Ahh.  Look in the ^G help file :-)  On Win9X etc, it's the Escape key
followed by the key you want, you don't need to hold down escape though.

> 3) I can't figure out how to invoke the regular
> expression as opposed to the straight literal search

Yep, you need Meta keys first, then it's just Meta-E.  However, I can't
remember if the version of cygwin I build nano with actually has regex
support, so Regex may not be available in the binary.  If not then
Meta-E will simply put an 'e' on your screena and not toggle regex
search.

> When I get this all working, I'd like to contribute
> something in the way of documentation... I think the
> level of man pages may work for UNIX users... for the
> rest of us, I think a little help is in order... maybe
> I can help with this.

That would be really great, I really can't stand writing docs, actually
keeping them up to date more then writing them, but any help you can
provide is certainly welcome!

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001