nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: Further Comments

From: Derek McKay
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: Further Comments
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:22:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:34:52 +0100 Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:15:03PM +0000, Derek McKay wrote:
> >    [...] What I hadn't realised, was that one needs to remove
> >    "./config.cache" otherwise the new environment isn't noticed.
> >    May I suggest a note about this in the INSTALL file?
>
> Did you get a (cached) message?

Yes, I did. However, I did not realise what it meant. That's my own lack
of experience with these things. Sorry. Still, I think a note about it in
the documentation somewhere would not go amiss.

> > 2. The environment variable that is tested to see which language to use
> >    is LC_MESSAGES. I had expected it to be LANG, [...]
>
> [...] You mean at runtime?

Yes.

> [...] In what situation does LANG not work?

Okay, the problem is that on my system (SuSE Linux 7.3) the LANG variable
is set to "en_GB", or "ca_ES", or whatever. If I deliberately set it to
"ca", then it works as you described. However, by leaving the LANG
variable as "en_GB", then I can still change LC_MESSAGES to "ca" to change
the language.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that it is a bug. I'm just
suggesting that a note about it is put in the documentation.

regards, Derek.