nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] merged patch

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] merged patch
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:41:20 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 02:09:17PM -0800, Steven Kneizys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got most of the merged patch to go in easily using a lil fuzz and
> installing the gnu patch 2.5.4 (of course the native patch program
> didn't understand the patch!), except my native compiler on the Compaq
> Alpha Unix 4.0d has a lil problem with some new stuff:
>
> cc: Error: files.c, line 329: In the declaration of "cnum",
> "max_int_digits" is not constant, but occurs in a context that requires
> a constant expression.
>     char cnum[max_int_digits + 2];
> --------------^
> cc: Error: files.c, line 330: In the declaration of "buf",
> "strlen(...)" is not constant, but occurs in a context that requires a
> constant expression.
>     char buf[strlen(name) + max_int_digits + 2];
> -------------^
> cc: Error: files.c, line 330: In the declaration of "buf",
> "max_int_digits" is not constant, but occurs in a context that requires
> a constant expression.
>     char buf[strlen(name) + max_int_digits + 2];
> ----------------------------^

Ack, I'm surprised gcc lets this go through without a complaint.  I dont
think this type of declaration is portable.  I'll try and bang on this
patch this weekend, there just seems to be something about it...it seems
like we're doing an awful lot of memory allocations.  Considering the
program is (in theory) exiting with abnormal status I would tend to try
and keep the malloc()ing to a minimum.  Let me have a look.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001