nano-devel

[Nano-devel] idea for null problem fix

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] idea for null problem fix
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:29:22 -0800 (PST)

I believe I've hit on something that could work as a fix for
the null problem.  Since pressing Enter on a line or reading
in a \n when loading a file simply creates a new line, a
given line normally never has \n characters in it;
therefore, NULLs could be encoded as \n's and converted back
when the file is written to disk.

The only potential problem of this approach would crop up if
regexp searches gained the ability to search for certain
control characters in C format (\t for tab, and so on;
Nathan Heagy posted on the lack of this feature back on
2/11); the way around the problem (if this feature ever gets
in, that is) would be for \n searches to find the NULLs at
the end of each line, and not the non-end-of-line NULLs
encoded as \n's.

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like address@hidden from
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag