nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] autogen.sh problems

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] autogen.sh problems
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:18:11 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 at 16:43:35 +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:11:16PM -0800, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
>> I'm having no luck getting nano 1.1.7-cvs to compile.  Using a CVS snapshot
>from a few days ago, I get the following (I'm running autoconf 2.52 and
>automake 1.4pl5, and I do have all the other components needed; I'm running
>Slackware 8.0 with many added components compiled from source):
>>
>> aclocal: configure.ac: 219: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
>> aclocal: configure.ac: 310: macro `AM_WITH_NLS' not found in library
>
>I haven't seen this before. Are you sure your aclocal is correctly
>installed, will all the automake macros installed?

Yes.  However, I've figured out it may be due to an
incorrect version of automake; see below.

>> autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.ac
>> automake: configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
>> automake: configure.ac: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
>> automake: configure.ac: installing `./missing'
>> configure.ac: 7: required file `./config.h.in' not found
>> configure.ac:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>> configure.ac:7: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
>> configure.ac:8: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ACLOCAL_INCLUDE
>> configure.ac:200: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
>> configure.ac:219: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GLIB
>
>The rest of errors must be inherited by the aclocal failure.

I upgraded to automake 1.5 to see if there was a version
problem, and with it, aclocal's AM_PATH_GLIB error still
occurs, but its AM_WITH_NLS error doesn't.  The confusing
thing here is that README.CVS states that the recommended
automake version is 1.4pl5, but according to a post you
sent to the mailing list a few weeks ago (Feb. 27, in the
"Nano won't make" thread), it should work with at least
automake 1.5.

At least in the current state, with 1.5, if I remove the
testing section that uses AM_PATH_GLIB from configure.ac,
and remove the reference to @GLIB_LIBS@ from Makefile.am,
autogen.sh doesn't produce any errors and nano compiles
perfectly (so you're right about all errors after the first
two's being generated by the aclocal failure).  I don't need
glib anyway, since I'm using glibc, which contains both
vsnprintf() and snprintf()).  It's hackish, but at least it
works for the time being.

I'd try 1.6, in case it fixes the AM_PATH_GLIB error, but
with the problems it has that I've heard about, I'm reluctant
to do so.

Thanks for your help.

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like address@hidden from
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag
--- Begin Message --- Subject: [sapphire-project-devel] another patch update -- addendum Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:58:38 -0800 (PST)
The last patch had fspanel setting some NET_WM hints to the
value of 1 where zero would do (as in other NET_WM HINTS).
Fixed in this attached version.

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like address@hidden from
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag

--- End Message ---