nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] 1.0.8 Memory leaks . . . and fixes

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] 1.0.8 Memory leaks . . . and fixes
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:36:40 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:07:26AM -0500, Rocco Corsi wrote:
> Chris Allegretta wrote:
>

> >environment fixed I'll release as 1.0.9, so I guess now's the time to
> >test or complain if I forgot something :-)
> >

> My patch for internal spell checker fixes wasn't applied.

Oh, I thought the patch was intended for 1.1 :)

> A question, how is the open_pipe() going to be used?  I didn't see any
> calls to the function.  Is it a good idea to call "sh"?  Should we call
> the binaries directly?  Any security holes being opened?  Just the
> paranoid in me talking!

You mean in the 1.1 branch?  It's called by do_insertfile (^R^X is the
keystroke).  We probably should call the binaries directly but I dont
think we could easily execute pipelines and etc.  Im certainly no expert
in this stuff so I yield to anyone who can do this in a more secure or
clean fashion :)

> Code used for internal spell check and open_pipe() does overlap.  Should
> we be making a more generic function(s)?  One where open_pipe() could be
> called to create a whole string of pipes, maybe to call the "sort -u"
> after "spell" is called.

Yeah I noticed that.  I actually wanted to combine it with both spell
and some way to let nano act like a pager (i.e. read from stdin then
accept input from the kb), but I haven't had the time or will to do it
yet ;-)

I don't remember if I asked before, but is the -u flag to sort portable
across *nixes?

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001