nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] definition of filestruct with ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] definition of filestruct with ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:33:59 -0500 (EST)

> No problem.  Just be warned: I've discovered a few minor bugs in it
> already, which need fixing before going to step two.

Good.  I will work on correcting those first, and send you back a patch.
Do you have something specific in mind for step two?  I don't know the
code very well; my current plan is just to remove global.c:totlines and
then fix what breaks.

> >* make only next and prev be conditional on ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER,
>
> I don't know about this one, since all the prev and next references
> would then have to be #ifdef'ed out, which could end up being a mess.

I think a lot of the other #ifdef ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER lines will go away
when we finish converting global.c variables to their openfilestruct
counterparts.

Also, the number of prev and next references should be (or become) small
and self contained.  I think they are only needed when inserting, closing,
and switching buffers, and maybe in thanks_for_all_the_fish.  If it does
end up being a mess, then I agree, they could be defined always.

> You have a point about edittop and filebot, but the line number would
> still have to be preserved in order to keep the cursor exactly where
> the user had left it before (i. e. do_gotopos() won't work without a
> line number specified).

No.  In openfilestruct you have edittop and file_current_y.  Then the
current line number is edittop->lineno + file_current_y.  So when you
switch buffers you just recompute the line number.