nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Nano translations updates

From: Jean-Philippe Guérard
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Nano translations updates
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:29:18 +0200

Le 2002-04-15 01:11:23 +0200, Jordi Mallach écrivait :
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:57:53AM +0200, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> > If this is the case, this means that, while nano in CVS has most of the
> > time an up-to-date translation, the released version never have a
> > correct translation - they always include the PO file that would be a
> > good translation for the previous version, but that does not include the
> > latest changes.
>
> Yes, this is a problem I'm aware of. As 1.1 is a development series, I
> wasn't too worried about it. On the other hand, I thought we would have

I am using the Debian unstable branch, which includes nano 1.1. This
certainly had an impact on my perception of this issue.

> as many releases as we had with the 0.x series. Whenever the 1.2.0 is
> near, I'll try to get Chris to post pre-releases before the real
> releases, so all translators can get them done correctly. Right now,
> pre-releases are rare as it's a development branch after all, and when
> there is one, I don't submit it to the TP, as I can't be certain that
> strings won't change again between the pre-release and the final
> release.

Not pre-releasing for the development branch seems perfectly
reasonnable.

On the psychological side, however, it is a bit frustrating as a
translator to see that, despite your work, the available development
branch is never up-to-date with translations.

But I can certainly live with it.

> If you have any suggestion, it'll be welcome, of course. I sometimes
> send the CVS po to the Galician translator (which I know in person) when
> I see that there are many string changes in CVS. But that doesn't scale
> for all the teams :)

I think pre-releasing just before and for the stable series would be a
good idea.

For the developpement series, a very short pre-release (24 or 48 hours)
cycle might be an option. If the translations arrive in time, it's all
the better, otherwise it doesn't change anything. And in the mean time,
hopefully, the PO template will not have changed a lot.

The workload for the translation teams would be the same, as long as
you don't send a first PO file for the pre-release, then another one
for the release - the PO file of the release would never be published
anyway. And you would get improved translations for the development
series.

But, as I said, it would seem to me perfectly reasonnable to pre-release
only for the stable branch.

Thanks again.

Jean-Philippe

--