nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] More on the "-" issue.

From: Rocco Corsi
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] More on the "-" issue.
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:07:43 -0400

Dan Naumov wrote:

Actually, I just realised that the problem exists with literally every piece of
software out there that utilises command line parameters, so it's not just
Nano. I still think something must be done within Nano to work around this
problem. Fixing all Linux and *NIX software could be a larger problem, though.

address@hidden xidia]$ mv -XidiaInfo-.txt Xidia.txt
mv: invalid option -- X
Try `mv --help' for more information.

Actually, many UNIX commands use '--' to signal the end of the options. This could be something to look into. Check 'info mv' or 'info rm', they should discuss this if you have a GNU based system. I have also seen this on Solaris and other SYSVR4 systems.

What about when using the short options, could a single '-' be good enough.

Rocco