nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: wrapping and -w switch

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: wrapping and -w switch
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 22:52:21 -0400

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 06:22:05PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> Hi Hugo,
>
> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 09:50:37PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > I like that nano now doesn't wrap by default. I would like to be able to
> > turn on wrapping though, from a command line switch. Seeing as -w was
> > disable wrap, and wrap is now off by default, maybe -w can now be enable
> > wrap instead?
>
> Hmm, I wouldn't do it that way, I would use another switch. Normally,
> switches take precedence over rcfiles, so -w should always do the same,
> regardless of what's in your nanorc.
> This issue has come out more times.
> Currently, you could switch to wrapping with meta-w once you get in
> nano.
>
> Chris, would having some options without short versions a good idea?
> Like this:
> -w, --nowrap
>     --withwrap
>
> (or some other name)

No no no no :) Not portable to rely on GNU getopt being available on
the system.

I'm going to have to knuckle under and make a force wrapping (-W) option
... what's wrong with --wrap for the long option name ;-). Hmm, perhaps
we can just define it if --enable-nanorc is defined?  When else would
you need to force wrapping on because it's off by default?  If we've
compiled wrapping support out of the executable, then no flag can
override that, so it's out for nano-tiny.

Opinions?

We'd have to mention it in the documentation though, as it's not
intuitive obvious to the casual user than you'd only get -W by defining
the .nanorc support.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001