nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] compile nano.

From: Gareth Pearce
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] compile nano.
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 08:35:20 +0000

Greetings Petrov,

In nano.c, I had to enable the raw(); call to get it to work on an
Alpha.
Find this code and if your code segfaults on a control-\ then take off
the ifndef/ednif pair and see if that fixes it for you.  If it does
then maybe we can fix the distribution, if you do not need it then I
need to fix how I install it! :) :)

hmm ... my osf 4.0d install doesnt have any problems except for the fact that ctrl-c is completely non functional (would be nice if esc-esc-c worked on more screens)

#ifndef _POSIX_VDISABLE
        /* We're going to have to do it the old way, i.e. on cygwin */
        raw();
#endif

        kbinput = wgetch(edit);

Take care!

Steve...

--- Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 12:08:13AM +0300,  Petrov M.I. wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > > You'll need ncurses or a curses lib that doesn't suck. Did the
> compile
> > > fail for you?
> >  $./configure
> > *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> > *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> > *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> > *** full path to glib-config.
> > configure: error:
> > *** snprintf() and/or vsnprintf() not found.  GLIB not found
> either.
> > *** You need both snprintf() and vsnprintf().  Alternatively you
> can
> > *** install the GLIB library which can be found at
> ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
> > Tanx.
>
> hi Petrov,
>
>    The error message pseaks the truth ;)   You must have glib
> installed if your system doesn't have snprinf.  You should even be
> able
> to install it as a non-user if you dont have root.
glib installs just fine - at least with gcc as compiler - infact i have almost all of gnome2 running on osf 4.0d using gcc as compiler - mozilla using cxx as compiler (had to upgrade though) - not bad i think.

but to confuse the issue a bit more - if the person really does not want to install glib for some reason - vsnprintf/snprintf are available in -ldb ... I have heard reports that they arent fully safe versions, but they are there. I think when i first installed nano on osf4.0d i modified configure to ignore - and added -ldb to the makefiles.

Gareth - supposed cygwin nano maintainer - who was going to release 1.1.9 - but his debian unstable version is ... quite unstable, and hasnt had time to look into it.