nano-devel

[Nano-devel] iscntrl() ambiguity

From: David Benbennick
Subject: [Nano-devel] iscntrl() ambiguity
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:58:04 -0400

Starting a month ago, expressions like "ch < 32 || ch == 127" have been
replaced with "iscntrl(ch)".  In the current behem patch, I add an
iscntrl() statement to winio.c:update_line, the code that chooses how to
display characters.

Here's a fact that took me a long time to figure out: the behavior of
iscntrl() depends on locale settings, and among other things, on the LANG
environment variable.  With LANG=en_US, characters 128 through 159 are
control characters.  That means that with the new patch, the way binary
characters display depends on the locale.

Well, just thought I would explain this odd "feature".