nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] committed (not me, the code)

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] committed (not me, the code)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:59:03 -0400

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 07:57:11PM -0700, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> > I predict that in your .nanorc you have something like
> >     color brightblue start="/\*.*" end="\*/"
> > I changed the way multi-line syntax coloring works.  The line above will
> > now only match comments that start and end on different lines.  Instead,
> > it should be
> >     color brightblue start="/\*" end="\*/"
>
> I don't understand why you would prefer this; is this because of the
> overhead of matching patterns on multiple lines?

The current behavior for multi-line patterns is that nano finds a match
for the Start pattern, and then finds the next End after the *beginning*
of the Start that was found.  Thus, with either
        color brightblue start="/\*.*" end="\*/"
or
        color brightblue start="/\*" end="\*/"
the string /*/ will be painted.  The length of the Start is not
considered.  I thought it made more sense to have nano find the next End
starting after the *end* of the Start that was found.  Thus with the
patch I sent, a colored hunk of text will have a beginning part that
matches the start expression, and an ending part that matches the end
expression, and the two parts will not overlap.