nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] .11 release and new syntaxes

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] .11 release and new syntaxes
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:30:08 -0400

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 01:13:26PM -0500, D Canfield wrote:
> I tried creating a color set for .php, but the biggest thing I wanted
> was to highlight functions.  With a handful of highlighted characters
> for quotes, comments, and the like nano (.10) performed OK, but even
> defining just the 20 or so names that were required for the PHP LDAP
> functions brought scrolling to a crawl.

Show us the color lines from your .nanorc file, with all the functions you
want.  Also, are you using nano 1.1.10 or the CVS version?

> or are there ways that nano's highlighting can be optimized in the
> future?

There are.  Multiline regexps are currently very slow, especially for
matches that happen very infrequently.  If you have a big file where the
multiline regexp never matches, Nano has to check each line of the file
for a match, for each line it paints.  That is because a start match
earlier, and an end match later, might paint the current line.

> I'm assuming it's some kind of termcap difference or something?

I've seen issues like this in various terminals.  Alas, it appears to be
something other than Nano, like a terminal or ncurses bug.