nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Er, another big patch ...

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Er, another big patch ...
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 00:05:28 +0200

Hi David,

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:33:21AM -0400, David Benbennick wrote:
> * Nano correctly handles binary characters in file names.  File names get
> displayed in the status bar, title bar, tab completion display, and file
> browser.
>
> * Nano handles binary characters in replacement match text.  For
> example, a file with the line 'address@hidden', do a regexp search-and-replace
> for 'bob.bob', and Nano now displays the highlighted match correctly.
>
> * Nano matches binary characters correctly with regexps.  For
> example, the line 'color red [[:cntrl:]]' in the nanorc file now colors
> all control characters.
>
> * Backwards search-and-replace had bugs.  For example, with the word
> AAAAAAAA, doing backwards search on the letter A, replacing with anything,
> only alternating As got replaced.
>
> * Regexp search-and-replace had a bug in the substring-replacement
> utility.  For example, with the line 'bobbobbobbob', do a regexp search
> for '(bob)' and replace it with '\1\1\1'.  At the prompt, type A for all.
> Nano goes into an infinite loop!
>
> * Trying to read an accessible character or block special file used to
> leak a file descriptor.
>
> * Toggling expert mode ^X used to leak memory.
>
> * Tab completion works slightly better.  Also, at prompts like Search:
> where tab completion doesn't apply, you can now enter a Tab character.
>
> * Status messages like "Read %d lines." now do plurals correctly.
> Translation is done with ngettext().
>
> * Nano now catches SIGTERM, so doing kill from the command line makes
> things close gracefully.
>
> * Nano now ignores the ^S key.
>
> * The help window text scrolls smoothly with the up and down arrows.
>
> * The Nano binary is 5K smaller, and the code is 1000 lines shorter.
>
> Er, the patch is 300K.  I can break it up into about 4 pieces if people
> want.

I think all of these should go in, probably. At least all of those that
are bugfixes :)
I'm (no wonder) specially interested in the 118n bits. The merge of the
gettext defs into nano.h I should have done long ago, as well as the
ngettext stuff. I long ago got that suggestion from the German
translator, but forgot to do it.

I don't know if any of these violate the feature freeze, though. At
least the i18n stuff doesn't and it'd be itnestesting to have them in
the next version.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/