nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Disabling ^S for scroll lock.

From: Jeff DeFouw
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Disabling ^S for scroll lock.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:06:02 -0500

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:33:48PM -0400, David Benbennick wrote:
> I think Nano should turn off scroll lock.  Consider Joe User, typing away,
> does a ^A or ^W or ^D or ^Z or ^X but misses and doesn't notice.  Then
> Nano is frozen!

I do this all the time.  When it's on a remote machine I often think the
connection has been interrupted, and then realize I accidentally hit ^S.
It's become a habit now that any time my connection freezes I try ^Q.

> Anyway, if you don't want to just ignore ^S, at the very least we should
> put up a message, "Use ^Q to unfreeze me."

A little clarification is needed here.  ^S is not SIGSTOP.  ^S is a flow
control stop implemented by the terminal by holding buffers, causing a
block on the I/O.  You can turn it off to have the ^S pass through, but
I don't think you can trigger it from within the program, so the "Use ^Q
to unfreeze me" is likely not possible.  Either you disable it and
handle a ^S in the program or you do nothing and let the terminal stop.

--
Jeff DeFouw <address@hidden>