nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:24:38 -0400

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:54:56PM -0700, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> Honestly I'd rather see the current non-pico behavior go away; yes its
> consistent across functions but people are used to the way Pico does
> previous search strings.  I'd rather the new behavior become the
> default, drop the ^\ shortcut from the menu and drop Pico compatibilty
> mode entirely (as we'd pretty much be pico compatible).

I think that would be good.

> Serious question (now that the list seems to be back up): Who actually
> likes the default previous search/replace string behavior?

I don't.  When I decide to search for something, I do ^W and start typing.
Then "Oh damn, I forgot to delete the old search string first." The
default behavior is nice for editing the old search string or doing a
blank replace, but annoying otherwise.

If I really need to edit the last search string, I'll just use the mouse.

And to replace with a blank string, it suffices to retype the search text.