nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] patch update, etc.

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] patch update, etc.
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:56:18 -0500

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:07:33PM -0800, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> * --enable-tiny no longer turns off NLS support; since autoconf doesn't
> have an undefine function, this may be difficult to deal with in a way
> that would allow usage of NLS in tiny mode while keeping the needed
> source hacks to a minimum

I think the way to deal with this is to allow ENABLE_NLS with
NANO_SMALL.  That's what my big patch does.

> * going to the bottom of (i. e. the magicline of) a file that contains
> more than one page of text, turning the mark on, going to the top of the
> file, cutting, and uncutting twice causes a problem; the first uncut
> updates the screen properly, but the second one doesn't; I've been
> trying to fix this, but every attempt I've made so far has either not
> worked at all, fixed that one case and broken another, or broken Pico
> compatibility

This bug doesn't appear with my big patch.  I don't know what the problem
was.

> * Insert isn't read properly (it's interpreted as ^R) under
> slang-compiled nano; DB's solution, as evidenced by his patch, is to
> remove Insert key handling if slang is used, but considering that that
> makes the ncurses- and slang-compiled versions of nano somewhat
> incompatible, and that it's a (albeit minor) hack anyway, I'm wondering
> whether it should be removed entirely; comments?

That isn't my solution.  It has always been like that in nano.  My patch
just moved that code up a bit.  But now that you point it out, perhaps a
better solution is to put

#ifndef KEY_IC
#define KEY_IC 274
#endif /* !KEY_IC */

in nano.h, then take out the #ifndef USE_SLANG around the KEY_IC handling
bit.  I wonder how portable the number 274 is.  Ncurses uses 331, and
slang.h defines SL_KEY_IC as 322 (but doesn't define KEY_IC).

I think it is good that Nano handles the Insert key.  We shouldn't punish
ncurses just because slang sucks.