nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: Speller file descriptor leaks.

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: Speller file descriptor leaks.
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:40:50 -0800

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:15:57PM -0500, David Benbennick wrote:
> It seems to me that making this code watertight would be complicated.  I
> think a better solution is to call
>
> system("exec spell < \"[tempfile_name]\" | sort -f | uniq");
>
> This way we pass error checking responsibility to the shell.  Also, we
> need only one fork() and one pipe() (to read the shell's reply).
>
> This idea has been implemented in the newly updated patch
> http://www.math.cornell.edu/~dbenbenn/nano/nano.patch  (Find the relevant
> bit by searching for "system(cmd)"

It's hard to argue with code that much smaller :-)   That's how I wanted to
do it originally but I was worried about

- systems who are not using /bin/sh (cygwin stand-alone systems?)
- PATH security

But I guess we have the second issue either way.  The first I'm not
sure.  Feedback?

(I busted my ass on that code this weekend too, oh well ;-)

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001