nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: Speller file descriptor leaks.

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: Speller file descriptor leaks.
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:22:14 -0800

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:15:57PM -0500, David Benbennick wrote:
> The new internal speller pipeline code leaks two file descriptors each
> time.  Here's one way to fix the problem:
>
> This doesn't help if there is an error with fork() or pipe().  Then nano
> will abort early, and leak some files and some processes.
>
> It seems to me that making this code watertight would be complicated.  I
> think a better solution is to call
>
> system("exec spell < \"[tempfile_name]\" | sort -f | uniq");

Hmm.  I just came up with a problem with both implementations. If 'sort' is
missing in the PATH, then the exit status will be zero (because uniq doesn't
care if it gets no input) but the spell checking in fact failed.  I thought we
could just check for read_buff_read == 0, but it would also be that if there
were no misspelled words(.  If your implementation addresses this somehow
David, please let me know, but I couldn't get the patch to cooperate with the
existing CVS tree.  Anyone have a thought on this?

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001