nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Crash solved? [Was: Re: Search crash]

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: [Nano-devel] Crash solved? [Was: Re: Search crash]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:22:46 -0800

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:25:49PM -0500, David Benbennick wrote:
> Chris,
>
> See if this patch fixes the problem.  I think perhaps there is something
> strange about assigning a value in a variable declaration in C.  Or, a bug
> in gcc or somewhere.

Nope, much much worse.  Bad Chris:

void bottombars(const shortcut *s)
{
    int i, j, numcols;
    char keystr[4];
.
.
.
#ifndef NANO_SMALL
            else if (s->val == KEY_UP)
                strcpy(keystr, _("Up"));
#endif /* NANO_SMALL */

Anyone see anything wrong with this? Especially if "Up" is translated to
a string longer than 3 characters? :)

The problem is how to fix it.  I had originally come up with some clever
use of ACS_UARROW and ACS_DARROW to make actual arrows appear in the
shortcut key section (the part in reverse video).  Unfortunately it
didn't seem to work in normal $TERMs like xterm and vt100.  It did work
with the linux $TERM though.  I don't think a word is going to cut it,
especially since it will have to be translated and most languages don't
seem to have short words for "up" ;-)

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001