nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] getpwent()

From: Simon Arlott
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] getpwent()
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:09:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:44:51AM +0000, Simon Arlott wrote:
> > rcfile.c uses information from getpwent() to find the user's home dir,
> > according to the getpwent(3) man page this uses /etc/passwd
> >
> > The systems here use NIS, so there is no /etc/passwd entry for my username
> > so
> > this fails meaning nano can't find my home dir to read my .nanorc file.
>
>       getpwent() should search NIS depending on the implementation.  I
> noticed a system here reported similar errors until I added a
> compatibility line to /etc/passwd:
> +::0:0:::
>
> There is probably an nsswitch setting to fix this without using the +
> line.  What type of system is this?
>
> Please let me know if this doesn't fix the problem.

I don't have access to add lines to /etc/passwd,
but the following information might help:

address@hidden:~$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:     compat
#shadow:     files
group:      compat
hosts:      dns files nis
netmasks:   files
networks:   nis
protocols:  files nis
rpc:        files nis
services:   files nis
netgroup:   nis
publickey:  files
automount:  nis
aliases:    nis

address@hidden:~$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)

address@hidden:~$ ypcat --version
ypcat (yp-tools) 2.4

--
Simon Arlott
<address@hidden>

"So a `Trusted Computer' is one that can break my security?
 Now you've got it."
http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html