nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] None

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] None
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:21:36 -0800

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 06:07:28PM -0500, David Benbennick wrote:
> Nickolai,
>
> I've seen some problems like this using Nano under Putty or Windows Telnet
> (but not this bad).  I think the problem is with your curses or ncurses
> library.  (When I upgraded to the newest ncurses my problems went away.)
>
> It is possible to install ncurses in your own directory.  You can get the
> latest version from http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/.  Install it to, for
> example, /tmp/ncurses.  Now you just have to make Nano see the new version
> of ncurses.
>
> First, copy the new ncurses.h file to the Nano source directory, so Nano
> will see the right header file.  Then open Nano's Makefile, and replace
> the line
>
> LIBS = -lcurses
>
> with
>
> LIBS = -L/tmp/ncurses/lib -lncurses
>
> assuming you installed the new ncurses in /tmp/ncurses.  Finally, open
> Nano's config.h, and replace the line
>
> /* #undef HAVE_NCURSES_H */
>
> with
>
> #define HAVE_NCURSES_H
>
> Let me know whether that works.
>

> > and those function perfectly in the exact same environment (except for
> > Emacs in the text mode, of course).
>
> Do you mean that when you open Emacs at the console, it has the same
> problems?  I think that indicates it's a curses problem, since Emacs uses
> curses.  (Also, Pico doesn't.)

Indeed.  For the cygwin portion of this issue, I downloaded cygwin at
work and was able to duplicate the problem with most $TERM values, ansi
looked especially bad.  However on my wife's computer which has an older
installation of cygwin, all $TERM values worked fine, even ansi.  So I
suspect this is an issue of the ncurses currently being shipping by
cygwin.  If you installed the cygwin program under Windows, you should
be able to install a new ncurses library over top of the defective one
regardless of Administrative rights,  otherwise David's recommendation
can apply to cygwin as well for installing in an alternate location.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001