nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPAD on

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPAD on xterm
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:14:41 -0400

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 04:02:03PM -0700, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Jordi Mallach:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 12:29:36PM -0700, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Well, forcing people to use an option just because they use OS foo or
> >bar sounds hackish to me. I guess I would prefer doing a configure
> >check for FreeBSD and doing magic for them on the fly, so they don't
> >need to use -K.
>
> Oops; forgot about that.  Now that I think about it, that's probably the
> best solution, to have nano work "out of the box" without having to deal
> with incompatible key values or similar things.  One issue, though, is
> what to do if there's a terminal type with this problem that we don't
> know about.  Should we allow the user to specify the option if
> necessary, e. g. --enable-screweddelete :) or something?

I think this is definitely the way to go.  Perhaps
--enable-altkeyroutines (another possible name) that when used at
configure time would automatically enable what -K toggles and remove
-K as an option (as it would be on all the time).

For the issue at hand though, why don't we just handle Alt-[-F and H on
the statusbar?  Unless we're missing other stuff, well I guess -K is a
hack and will always be missing stuff.... :-)

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001