nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: Wouter Van Hemel
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:36:27 +0200 (CEST)

[some random snipping]

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:

> We'll have to interpret KEY_DC as Backspace when using -d, and interpret
> KEY_DC normally as Delete when not using -d.

Sounds ok.

> As for Delete, something is weird.  The output would say 27 if Delete
> were generating an escape sequence, but if you're not using -K, then
> there shouldn't be any escape sequences generated, unless of course
> something else is screwed terminal-wise.

I don't think I've touched any of these definitions. And the debian
install I also used for testing, is completely new and unconfigured.

>  Also, the delete character for
> both xterm and the FreeBSD console when -K is used is supposed to be
> 127, so even that's not being generated.  There's another way to find
> out what's being generated, though.  Would you please do the following
> (and here's hoping that this is the last thing I need you to do
> input-wise; sorry that this has been such a hassle):

It's not a problem, at all.

> 4. Press Delete, and tell me exactly what gets printed out (including
> any control characters).

^[[3~ (aterm, xterm, debian xterm, debian gnome-terminal)

PS: I noticed that the new gnome terminal has an option to choose between
3 sequences for BackSpace and Delete to be generated in the terminal
window. These three options are:
"Ascii Del" which generates "J"
"Escape Sequence" which generates "^[[3~"
"Ctrl-H" which amazingly generates "^H"

Ascii Del is the GTerm default for BackSpace, Escape Sequence for Delete,
which also seems to be the choice for plain xterms.

In nano on freebsd, TERM=xterm, both Ascii Del and Escape Sequence do a
"delete" (clears right), and Ctrl-H does a "backspace" (clears left).

As far as I remember, I've never seen the ^[[3~ sequence do a backspace,
in any TERM, so it seems to be the safest bet for a Delete. It's the "J"
sequence that tends to swap between Del or BS, in different TERMs.

Good luck. ;)