nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 1.3 branch opened in CVS

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 1.3 branch opened in CVS
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Mallach:

<snip>

>What are the plans for 1.4, right now? On the top of my head, there are
>two or three patches lying around which could be considered: DB's UTF-8
>patch would rock; there's the repeat last search patch from Wouter and
>there's this Debian bug that it'd be cool to fix:
>  * #178423: nano should ask a confirmation before saving a file to a
>new name
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=178423

Don't worry; they're all on my list.  It may be awhile before DB's UTF-8
patch gets in, though, since (a) it's on top of his other immense patch,
and I'm still sorting through that, and (b) there are still a few
problems with it according to his website that need to be worked out.

>We had talked about revamping colour support to try to make it
>faster... and that's all I can think about right now.

There are a few other patches too:

Me:

* patch to allow paragraph searching

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanopara-patch.txt

* patch to allow changing of punctuation characters in nanorc

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanomiscbugs3a-patch.txt

* patch to overhaul low-level input (should fix FreeBSD input problems)

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanokbinput-patch.txt

* addition of verbatim input mode (which should be as simple as hooking
up get_verbatim_kbinput() in the above patch to a shortcut in the edit
window and statusbar prompt)

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanoverbatim-patch.txt

Note: This patch has been recently updated to use the verbatim input
routines from nanokbinput.patch, for testing purposes.  It's still
hackish in the way it implements some things, which is why it's only for
testing.  To do this in a non-hackish way, there'll have to be some
changes made to the second-level (non-global) input functions, so that
they can properly insert (and in the case of the statusbar prompt,
properly display, most likely via display_string() from DB's immense
patch or something similar) strings of verbatim characters.

Victor Ananievsky:

* patch to add insert command to nanorc

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2003-07/msg00010.html

Needs to handle ~ notation in the filename.

DB:

* various fixes/enhancements from his immense patch

Note #1: The gethomedir() function in this patch could be hooked up to
the above patch and also replace the code using getpwuid() that is
duplicated in several functions.

Note #2: I've been able to port his movement code rewrite, including
smooth paging support and with a few tweaks of my own, to current CVS:

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanodbmove2-patch.txt

I want to focus first on the input overhaul, as the keyboard issues with
FreeBSD go all the way back to when we first started turning keypad() on
in 1.1.2.  More info on it coming.