nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] French translation of the nano manpages

From: Jean-Philippe Guérard
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] French translation of the nano manpages
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:32:16 +0200

Hi Jordi !

Le 2003-08-25 13:34:30 +0200, Jordi Mallach écrivait :
> Hi Jean-Philippe!
>
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:21:06AM +0200, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> > Here is the French translation of the GNU nano man pages.
> >
> > Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any question about
> > them. I will be happy to keep updating them if that's OK with you.
>
> Thanks! I think that to aid you in the tracking of the original version
> you can use the $Id: $ tag in the original manpages.

Hum. Good point. In fact, I removed it on purpose, but I am unsure this
was the best thing to do.

My reasons to remove it were the following:

1) I am using RCS myself to follow on the revisons of the French
   version. Each time I do a "ci -l" (checkin-checkout), the $Id$ tag is
   replaced by my own revision information.

2) When I will update the French page, I'll work on the French page and
   check in parallel the original page. Thus nothing ensure I will not
   forget to copy the $Id$ tag from the original man page to the French
   one.

3) The revision should be given by the man page publication date
   (hopefully).

If you feel that the man page date is not enough to convey the full
revision information, I will try to include a literal copy of the $Id$
tag (without the $$ to ensure it is not overwritten by own revision
information).

I am also having a look at po4a, which might provide a way to better
handle this issue (it would solve point 2):
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/po4a

> nano-tiny.1 isn't included in the upstream nano source, it's only
> distributed with the Debian package, so I guess it'll be better if I
> only include it in the package. Can you file a bug with the manpage so I
> don't forget in my next upload?

I will do it, no problem.

Thanks !

--