nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano not exiting cleanly bug

From: Joseph Birthisel
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano not exiting cleanly bug
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:40:54 +0000 (GMT)

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2003 at 14:17:11 +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > > sometimes when the terminal exits unexpectedly (or expectedly for the
> > > user,
> > > just not for nano), nano will utilize 100% of the cpu and sit there until
> > > killed
> > I got this report once, I couldn't reproduce.
>

> Here's a way to reproduce it, and a fix.  In an xterm, ssh somewhere, run
> nano.  Suspend with ^Z.  Logout.  (The shell should warn that there are
> stopped jobs.)  The Nano window becomes visible, but it can't hear input.
> Now close the xterm.
>
> Nano is looping around in winio.c:get_ignored_kbinput, with wgetch just
> returning errors.  The problem is a line in nano.c:do_cont I added a while
> ago.  Nano checks for the window being resized, so ends up ignoring the
> SIGHUP.
>
> Here's a patch that takes out that line.
>

> Generally, using SIGWINCH and siglongjmp to deal with window resizes is
> bad, since Nano's data could be left in an invalid state.  (Try resizing
> while loading a big file.)  Perhaps eventually Nano could start checking
> for KEY_RESIZE from ncurses instead.  But that would be a big job.
>

> DB
>

> P.S.  The autogen.sh script doesn't work for me, and I don't know why.  I
> have
>       autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
>       automake (GNU automake) 1.6.3
>       gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.12.1
> on a Redhat 8 machine, and autogen.sh fails with the message
>
> aclocal: configure.ac: 276: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
> autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
>  at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 263

And on FreeBSD 4.8 I get autoreconf errors as well:

configure.ac: 25: required file `./config.h.in' not found
doc/texinfo/Makefile.am:2: installing `doc/texinfo/texinfo.tex'
automake: configure.ac: installing `./depcomp'
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
 at /usr/local/bin/autoreconf line 359

autoconf-2.53_1
automake-1.7.5_1
gettext-0.11.5_1