nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:24:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Tom Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi!
>I found a bug in nano 1.2.2, using a terminal window higher than 24
>rows makes nano behave in strange and erratic ways. These things
>happen, more or less often:
>- The window doesn't get properly cleared when doing Page Down
>- Nano terminates at start, clears window
>- Nano terminates at start, shell prompt on title row
>- Text in shell window doesn't scroll up, after exiting nano
>- Nano uses only part of shell window
>
>My system: Red Hat 9.0 i386
>Package: nano-1.2.2-1 rpm
>Terminal emulator: Konsole
>Konsole keyboard scheme: "Linux console"
>Xfree: 4.3.0
>
>I attach my .nanorc and a file which particularly triggers the bugs.

On my slackware-current box, with nano 1.3.0-cvs in an xterm under
XFree86 4.3.0, I've been able to reproduce the second and third of these
a few times in a normal 80x24 terminal and with extra rows, and the
fifth one once with extra rows (although I think the fifth might be an
xterm problem).  I'm looking into it.

>By the way, nano rules otherwise! I see forward to version 1.4 and
>unicode support.

Good.

>I would also wish you implement shift+arrow marking and ^C ^X ^P block
>operations.

Unfortunately, since shift-[arrow key] seems to either act just like
[arrow key] or generate the same escape sequences as Ctrl-[arrow key] in
xterm, Eterm, and the Linux console, it most likely can't be implemented
properly.  nano 1.3.x doesn't interpret escape sequences (except for
one, in order to deal with some FreeBSD breakage), because escape
sequences in general are often horrendously incompatible between
different terminal types, and for that reason it's difficult to avoid
breakage if one relies much on them.

As for your other suggestion, I'm not sure what you mean by ^C ^X ^P
block operations.  Would you please explain?

Thank you.