nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:06:55 -0800 (PST)

--- Tom Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
>Thanks for your answer!

No problem.

On Saturday 29 November 2003 23:24, you wrote:
>> As for your other suggestion, I'm not sure what you mean by ^C ^X ^P
>> block operations.  Would you please explain?
>
>Copy: Control-C
>Cut: Control-X
>Paste: Control-V
>Close: Control-W

Okay; thanks.

>Those are the keybindings I'm used to, common in Windows/MacOS and in
>GNOME/KDE tools.

nano will be able to use those as soon as rebindable keys are
implemented and the above keybindings are provided for it.  Note that the
ongoing consolidation of nano's input code in the unstable branch
will, when it's done, provide a framework within which rebindable keys
can easily be implemented.

>And like I wrote in my second mail, the bugs appear only when I run nano
>through luit.

Don't worry; I got it.

>Without, it works fine in my 80x40 Konsole. But sometimes I hit keys by
>accident, which produce unicode characters, and it totally messes up
>nano. The cursor jumps around erratically when moved over those
>characters, text appears in strange places.

UTF-8 sequences involve some characters that nano shows as control
characters, and control characters are treated as though they're two
characters wide.  (In the "unicode characters" that are generated, do
you get any characters that look like "^À" in the ISO-8859-1 character
set?  All UTF-8 sequences start with ASCII 128, which is shown as that
character.)

>Unfortunately I must use another editor for my programming, until you
>have unicode support.

That is unfortunate.  However, as you know, it's on the TODO list for
1.4, so it'll be in by then.