nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, etc.

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, etc.
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:19:39 -0400

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 02:51:03PM -0400,  David L. Ramsey wrote:
> 5. Deal with the inability to build nano CVS if glib isn't installed
> even if we don't need to use glib's v?snprintf().  When v?snprintf()
> isn't available, glib 2.4.x has moved to using v?asnprintf() from gnulib
> CVS and providing its own wrappers around those functions to implement
> all the printf functions.  We could do the same with the files from
> gnulib and borrow just the wrappers for v?snprintf() (and possibly the
> tests for C99-compliant v?snprintf()) from glib, so that all of glib
> doesn't have to be installed to get the v?snprintf() functions on
> systems that lack them.  Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, that's originally why we bundled gettext() of course.
Glib is still far from commonly available on non-free OSes.  How much
extra code would that be, one source file?

> 6. mkstemp() is only available under BSD 4.3 and POSIX 1003.1-2001.
> There should be an included version of it for systems that don't have
> it.

Were people running into build problems on any particular OS as a result
of this?  At some point we have to rely on *some* level of POSIX in
order to write programs :)

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v1sw7CUPhw5ln6pr5ck4ma7u7LSIw0m5g/l7DRa27s5MRr3e6t5NLMb6TDp3en7g6M hackerkey.com