nano-devel

[Nano-devel] updates

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] updates
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:17:22 +0200

Been busy the past few weeks.  When I've had time, I've been focusing on
mainly fixing the bugs that cropped up in 1.3.3 and cleaning up some of
nano's internals to cut down on the bloat that the new features added to
1.3.3.  Among other things:

* added a fix for erroneously allowing tab completion in restricted mode
when the filename can't be changed

* added a fix for justifying's taking spaces off a line more than once
when part of the next line was added to it

* added a fix for a segfault when trying to do full-justify on a file
with no paragraphs, and changed its shortcut to ^W^U as the current
version of Pico has

* for more Pico compatibility, nano no longer cuts text on the statusbar
when Ctrl-U is pressed

* properly added delayed string translation, ported from DB's patch,
which allows the xlcredits[] strings to be translated properly again
(they weren't in 1.3.3)

* moved the setlocale() call out of the NLS #ifdef, as Debian does, in
preparation for UTF-8 support, since the wide character functions it'll
need won't works properly without that setlocale() call, and just
because the strings aren't translated doesn't mean that UTF-8
interpretation should be disabled

* fixed a problem where the terminal settings weren't always being
properly restored after running the alternative spell checker

* put in Mike Frysinger's patch file regexes and his suggested additions
to the c-file regexes (aside from the C++-specific suggestions, since I
have to adapt the colors of Neil Brown's sample C++ regexes, which cover
those suggestions for the most part, to match the ones we use); I'm also
still going through his shell script regexes

Since (a) adding UTF-8 support is bound to introduce a few new bugs; (b)
I'd prefer to add it to a relatively stable version of nano, and 1.3.3
isn't it, considering all the bugs that cropped up in it; and (c) it was
so long between 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 and I'd like to get 1.3.4 out soon, I'm
holding UTF-8 support off until after 1.3.4 is out.  Sorry for the
delay, again.  It shouldn't be much longer in any case.