nano-devel

[Nano-devel] updates: UTF-8 support almost done, etc.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] updates: UTF-8 support almost done, etc.
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:37:23 -0500

No, I'm not dead.  I've just been busy, mostly with the UTF-8 support,
which still is needed for the following:

* The wrapping routine for the edit window (do_wrap()) and the
line-wrapping parts of the help browser code (help_line_len(), etc.),
which currently wrap UTF-8 lines prematurely and don't break at UTF-8
blank characters.  Maybe they can use break_line(), since it's no longer
written with justify_format() solely in mind?

* The NO_CONVERT flag.  Since it's normally used when opening binary
files, it should treat even UTF-8 as binary when it's used and display
the edit window and statusbar text as a raw stream of bytes.

* Currently, the only way to get UTF-8 support under slang is to
manually edit config.h to define NANO_WIDE.  The slang tests need to be
rewritten to check for SLutf8_enable(), and, if that fails,
SLtt_initialize().  The tests as they are now are horrendously
complicated, and I haven't been able to rewrite them properly yet.  I've
looked at the mutt configure.in tests, and it only tries to link with
termlib and the math library when testing for slang, so maybe nano
should do that too?

Other changes:

* The improved resizing code and rcfile-parsing code have both been
merged from DB's old behemoth patch.

* The paragraph-searching and justify routines have been rewritten so
that the spacing at the ends of lines is properly preserved (my old
respacing routine was basically a giant hack that didn't always work
properly) and so that getting the characteristics of a paragraph is
simpler.

* Added a C regex for characters.

* Merged Mike Frysinger's regex for manpages, with a few tweaks.

* As you could probably tell from my last email, merged an apparent fix
for nano's continuing to run and eating up all unused CPU when the
terminal it's running in dies unexpectedly.

* Updated the FAQ, adding an entry explaining how to open files with
names beginning with "+"s from the command line.

Note on regexes: There are still some sample regexes for e.g. C++ in the
nano-help mailing list archives that I haven't had the time to get to
for quite a while.  Maybe there should be a separate nanorc.sample regex
maintainer that could handle things like that?  (If so, does anyone want
to volunteer?)

Comments?  By the way, sorry for being silent for so long.