nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Translating nano

From: Jean-Philippe Guérard
Subject: [Nano-devel] Translating nano
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:32:04 +0200

Hi Everybody!

I've just updated the nano .po file and man pages for nano 1.3.8.

I'd like to point out that working on the nano translation is very
frustrating.

As .po files are updated as soon as nano is released, but they are only
released with the next nano release, translations are *always* out of
sync, except where nano become stable.

The result of this is that people downloading the unstable version of
nano are sure of getting an uncomplete translation. These people get the
impression, that, as a translator, I'm doing a crappy job. Which is bad
for my motivation :(

I would like to suggest the following change to the nano release process
that would enable a much better integration of the translation process
with the developpement process.

Instead of directly releasing a new unstable version of nano (e.g.
1.3.9), release a 1.3.9-rc, and send the corresponding .pot file to the
translation teams.

Then, one week after that, release the official 1.3.9 version, including
all the new updated translations.

I don't think that this will be a huge burden for the nano team. And it
would help *a lot* translators like me!

Thanks in advance!

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard