nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [patch][rfc] reenable wrapping (fwd)

From: Alexey Toptygin
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [patch][rfc] reenable wrapping (fwd)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:36:58 +0000 (UTC)

Sorry if this is a duplicate message, but I haven't seen it appear in the archives so I'm resending.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:

Sorry about the wait.  I've been a bit busy with 1.3.8-cvs lately.  Just
so you know, the 1.2 branch of nano is in feature freeze, so this
feature can't go into it, but the 1.3 branch is still open.

Given that, however, the inability to unset --nowrap from the command
line is just a symptom of a larger problem: *any* flag set inside nano
or the .nanorc cannot be unset from the command line.  Adding a single
command line option for one case of this isn't quite enough, and adding
one for each case is overkill.

Yes, but currently if --disable-wrapping-as-root is set at compile time, and you're root, there's no way to enable wrapping on the command line or from the rcfile. That's what I was trying to solve, really, since distros like to ship nano compiled with --d-w-a-r instead of giving root a nanorc with nowrap set. IMO the --d-w-a-r option is misguided; root could alias nano='nano -w' or use nanorc, or just give -w on the command line when editing configfiles...

Don't get me wrong; I certainly appreciate the attempt you've made, but
I'd prefer a solution that fixes the problem as a whole.  Pico's
solution of apparently toggling flags (i.e, "pico -w -w" leaves wrapping
turned on) is probably the direction nano needs to go, but I'm not sure
how it should interact with the rcfile options or those options that set
other options (e.g. --restricted).  If you have any ideas how, or a
better solution, let me know.  Thanks.

Well, I'll think about it some more. IMO, the toggling could be very confusing.

                        Alexey