nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [patch][rfc] reenable wrapping (fwd)

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [patch][rfc] reenable wrapping (fwd)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:04:39 -0400

Alexey Toptygin wrote:

> Sorry if this is a duplicate message, but I haven't seen it appear in
> the archives so I'm resending.

No problem.

<snip>

> Yes, but currently if --disable-wrapping-as-root is set at compile
> time, and you're root, there's no way to enable wrapping on the
> command line or from the rcfile.

Actually, I'd forgotten than you can unset it from the .nanorc by adding
"unset nowrap" to root's .nanorc, regardless of
--disable-wrapping-as-root, which just changes the initial value of the
NO_WRAP flag.  You're still right about the command line, though.

> That's what I was trying to solve, really, since distros like to ship
> nano compiled with --d-w-a-r instead of giving root a nanorc with
> nowrap set. IMO the --d-w-a-r option is misguided; root could alias
> nano='nano -w' or use nanorc, or just give -w on the command line when
> editing configfiles...

True.  Maybe it should be dropped in favor of the root .nanorc solution,
then.  (I use it for testing purposes, but I have "set nowrap" in both
my .nanorc and root's .nanorc, so I don't actually use it often.) Comments?

<snip>

> Well, I'll think about it some more. IMO, the toggling could be very
> confusing.

Frankly, I think so too.  That's why I said "if you have a better
solution"; if you do, I'd prefer it over the toggling, as I'm stumped
at the moment as to how else to handle this.

Thanks for your patience.