nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: alt keys not working as meta for me

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: alt keys not working as meta for me
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:55:48 -0800

I previously wrote:
> None of the alt (meta) key commands work for me.
>

> For example, to toggle syntax highlighting, Alt-y
> gives me a u with an accent over it.
>

> To move up/down paragraphs, the alt key combos give
> me funny characters as well:
>

> Alt-9  --> small superscript '1'
> Alt-0  --> small superscript '0'
> Alt-(  --> looks like a double-quote
> Alt-)  --> looks like a copyright symbol
>

> How can I get my alt keys to work with nano correctly?
> Hitting ESC and then the key *does* work (in place of
> M-the_key), but on my keyboard that's a pain to have to
> keep hitting ESC.
>

> I've used emacs on this machine in the past, and
> the alt keys worked there correctly (as meta).
>

> I'm on Debian Etch. My version of nano is:
> $ nano --version
> GNU nano version 1.3.10 (compiled 02:51:18, Dec 25 2005)
> Email: address@hidden Web: http://www.nano-editor.org/
> Compiled options: --disable-wrapping-as-root --enable-color \
> --enable-extra --enable-multibuffer --enable-nanorc \
> --enable-utf8
>
> Thanks,
> ---John

Ok, I'm using IceWM, and if I Ctrl-Alt-Fn to a different
virtual console, then nano works with my left alt key
(I'm on a programmable keyboard, so can remap the right
Alt key if I have to).

There's a note in the IceWM faq about this:
http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-9.html#ss9.3
but it sounds like, to do that, I'd need to always hit
the ScrollLock before and after the Alt combo.

I may have to ask the IceWM folks about this one.

---John