nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: alt keys not working as meta for me

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: alt keys not working as meta for me
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:26:01 -0800

> > John M. Gabriele wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >  > I've been using xterm, and this seems to be partially
> >  > related. If I use aterm, both alt keys work as advertised.
> >
> > Sorry for the delay in answering; I've been busy.  Does adding
> >
> > XTerm*eightBitInput: False
> >
> > to your .Xdefaults file fix the problem under xterm?
> >

> Yesterday I added:
>
> xterm*metaSendsEscape: true
>
> to my ~/.Xresources and now everything works except using
> Alt-Space to move backward-by-word.
>
> Will try your suggestion momentarily...

Yes, that works too. It seems to be equivalent in effect.

The only remaining problem is that I'm not yet able to use
Alt-Space to move back-by-word. When I hit Alt-Space, I
get the xterm menu that you'd get by clicking the top left
corner of the window. This happens in other apps too, like
Firefox.

Can anyone guess if this is either an X thing, or is it
an IceWM thing?