nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:07:54 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> "Insert the next keystroke verbatim", I would say then.

Done in CVS.

> Looking further, the description of ^M is incorrect, as it does not
> insert a carriage return (0d) but a line feed (0a).  Although in my
> opinion it is weird that a ^M should insert a ^J: it would be more
> logical and more useful if a ^M actually inserted a ^M, but looking
> at the code this seems impossible, as ^M and Enter are equivalent.

I've changed it to "Insert a new line at the cursor position" in CVS,
since describing carriage returns versus line feeds will probably not be
useful for non-technical users.  Is this clear enough?

The reason why ^M has to insert a ^M, which is converted to ^J, is
mainly because ^J is used for Justify, and so there has to be a way to
tell Enter and Justify apart.

> One question about the code in global.c around line 680:
>
>   #ifndef NANO_TINY
>         , IFHELP(nano_refresh_msg, TRUE)
>   #else
>       , IFHELP(nano_refresh_msg, FALSE)
>   #endif
>
> Why these two alternatives when in tiny there is no help anyway, so
> having a blank line or not doesn't matter?

If you manually modify the makefile to define NANO_TINY and undefine
DISABLE_HELP (and I know at least one person who does), you'll need
this.

By the way, do you have any suggestions for where the shortcut for
copying text to the cutbuffer (and, soon, the shortcuts for indenting
and unindenting marked text) should go?  Thanks in advance.