nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlighting patterns

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlighting patterns
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:28:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jordi Mallach <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 03:40:17PM -0700, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> > Jupp got back to me (promptly!) and says:
> >
> > "I am the copyright holder and to my knowledge the german legal system
> > - in contrast to the anglo-saxon one - does not allow me to change
> > this. I can only allow others to use my work."
> >
> > If that's the case, how do *any* germans contribute to GNU software?
>
> Jupp is correct. What the FSF asks for is for copyright disclaimers, or
> for copyright assignments. The works are still copyrighted by Jupp, but
> it is assigned to the FSF.
>
> In Jupps case, disclaiming the copyright would be best, as it's a small
> snippet.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html

Jordi,

Is this
http://www.germany.fsfeurope.org/projects/fla/fla.en.html
the european equivalent?

This whole thing is actually pretty tiring though -- especially just for 20 odd
lines of regexes. I mean, folks submit patches via email to the list all the
time. No one asks about licensing or "copyright assignment" or what country
they're from... What's the status of a patch submitted via email to the list?
Is it public domain by default?

Could Jupp simply subscribe to this list, post the regexes and say, "hey,
here's some syntax highlighting patterns that you're welcome to", and we'd be
done with it?

Thanks.