nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Undefined meta keys

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Undefined meta keys
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:29:08 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Nick Warne wrote:
>> So, should a non-existant META key sequence return a 'key
>> sequence not known' or the like instead of just ignoring the META
>> key and typing the letter anyway?
>
> The first would be my preference.  There are not many unassigned
> Meta-key comabinations left, but for the few there still are, a
> simple message "[ Does nothing ]" on the status bar would be nice;
> this is better than producing an unexpected character.

Done for unused control keys, unused meta key sequences, and unused
escape sequences.  It displays "Unknown Command" on the statusbar when
it gets them, since that's what Pico displays (for the most part,
anyway).

Note that in order to implement this cleanly, I had to add a shortcut
for moving to the next search/replace string in the history, so that it
wouldn't be thrown out as unknown.  Search/replace history still works
the same as before, but now both directions are documented.